Greetings from the Chief Medical Officer
Welcome to the Providence Community Health Centers!
If you have been looking for a place to make a difference and a place to call home, I invite you to take a closer look at our team here in Providence.
Born in the civil rights movement, community health centers have been providing primary care to people across the country for over 50 years. Providence Community Health Centers (PCHC) has a solid legacy of bringing extraordinary care to all people regardless of their ability to pay. Our federally qualified health center is the largest in Rhode Island with nine clinical sites and over 75 family physicians, internists, pediatricians, nurse practitioners, midwives, dentists and dental hygienists. A diverse population of 60,000 people in Providence and the surrounding communities call PCHC their medical home.
Community health centers have been innovating new ways to deliver primary care for decades, and PCHC has been leading the way:
- We have embraced the challenge of health reform – our goal is to be the medical provider of choice.
- We’re building an advanced practice medical home with open access scheduling, an array of patient-centered services, and ancillary professional staff.
- Most of our clinical sites offer nurse care managers, integrated behavioral health counselors, and community health advocates.
- Each care team has a dedicated RN to help deliver preventative services and quality care.
- We continue to push the envelope on redesigning the health care team while seeking the triple aim of health reform: extraordinary quality, low cost and high customer satisfaction.
We also value the “fourth leg” of the health reform triad: professional satisfaction. Of what value is health reform if the professional staff is stressed and demoralized? PCHC understands that its care teams are one of its most valuable assets. Whether you are a physician, practitioner, dentist, nurse or any other member of our clinical family, we’ll do our best to help you provide excellent care to your patients… and still get you home on time to see your family. Consider this:
- PCHC was awarded one of the “Best Places to Work in Rhode Island”
- Rhode Island is an amazing place to call home – from ocean beaches to farmers markets, college towns to rural communities, and outdoor activities to a thriving arts community.
- Providence is home to all the social amenities you expect from a city without the hassle. (And, for the big city experience now and then, it’s only one hour to Boston and three hours to Broadway.)
I’ve spent the last twenty years working in community health centers and continue to be amazed by their energy. PCHC is a dynamic organization where compassionate social justice and primary care combine to create something uniquely American: a patient-centered medical home that provides extraordinary care to all people regardless of their ability to pay. If this sounds like what you’ve been looking for, please come and see for yourself. We look forward to hearing from you!
Andrew Saal, MD MPH
Chief Medical Officer
Husband and Dad