Providence Community Health Centers, Inc.
Our Providers Make a Difference Everyday. Join Our Team.
Physician Site Lead
REPORTS TO: Medical Director
Under the direct supervision of the Medical Director, the Physician Site Lead is responsible for the day-to-day supervision of primary medical care services within a particular clinical site. S/he will provide direct clinical care to patients within their clinical specialty. S/he will supervise clinical staff and provide sound guidance and direction in the absence of the Medical Director. This position combines direct patient care service (80%) with hands-on administrative responsibilities in support of all clinical programs (20%). Working as a collaborative partner with the Medical Director, provides real-time analysis and recommendations for improvement of clinical operations at a clinical site. In addition, will work internally to represent clinical professionals in special programs and projects to better integrate multidisciplinary patient services. Based on the discretion of the Medical Director and CMO, the Physician Site Lead may also represent the clinic to external stakeholders and act as a liaison for PCHC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide quality patient care within Physician’s specialty.
- Provide leadership and applicable guidance/training to mid-level professionals, allied health professionals, and other care-team members.
- Participate in the development of enhanced service delivery strategies within Physician’s specialty.
- Collaborate with others in the development of enhanced integration and care coordination among service lines.
- Adhere to and assist in the continuous development of relevant quality and performance metrics for Physician’s specialty, including any methods of tracking, trending and reporting on the same.
- Ensure the quality and appropriateness of health care provided by or under the supervision of Physician, and report and resolve any identified deficiencies or deviations from best-practices models of care.
- Participate in evaluation of Physician’s competencies and performance of clinical duties, including such focused and ongoing professional performance evaluations as PCHC may request.
- Participate in one PCHC Accountable Entity Committee and attend a minimum of 75% of the meetings.
- Collaborate with PCHC’s Quality and Risk Management staff in root cause analyses and other quality/performance improvement activities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to achieving the highest level of patient and team member satisfaction.
- Manage administrative responsibilities such as effective integration and coordination of the clinical services department; scheduling and conducting meetings as requested by the medical director, orienting and mentoring new clinicians; ensuring clinical staff are continually trained and supervised, and that activities of the medical staff are coordinated with other operating units of the organization.
- Assist the local Health Center Director with setting the providers’ standard clinical schedules, and coordinating vacation requests. Works with relevant clinical staff to create and distribute after-hours and inpatient call schedules, ensures distribution of new and revised schedules in a timely fashion to all providers, supervisors, hospital floors, and the answering service.
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, supervise all providers at assigned site – duties include performing new hire orientations, conducting peer review process, corrective action counseling, and approving requests for leaves of absence, training, and other special requests.
- Assume clinical responsibility over clinicians at site appropriate to his or her training, in conjunction with the Medical Director. Provide regular, ongoing, and special reporting in functional areas.
- Foster an environment that promotes Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement, and is responsible for innovation and workflow redesign to achieve quality goals.
- Participate and take proactive role in customer service related issues, and ensures to adhere to the values created by PCHC; by continually striving to improve and provides quality patient care, treating everyone with respect and dignity, promoting teamwork and cooperation to create an environment that maximizes efficiency and satisfaction, encouraging open communication and adhering to all established ground rules.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction in developing new medical service delivery areas for PCHC; direct, monitor and evaluate programs, revising and adapting as necessary and/or appropriate; assist in formulation and/or revision of medical program/clinical services policies and protocols Facilitate Clinical Protocols/Guidelines implementation and updates at all PCHC, Inc. sites with a focus on quality for patient care.
- Participates in developing and implementing safety programs for clinical and patient care environment
- Attend and represent PCHC to consultative and advisory bodies; to collaborating agencies, at specific institutions, and at conferences, as requested to enhance collaborative efforts with these organizations and institutions.
- Address site provider needs assessment as on-going basis and assists in Provider Staffing Plan as appropriate. Assures adequate staffing, including provider scheduling and room assignments.
- Work with the HR department in recruiting, screening and hiring of new providers as directed by the Medical Director.
- Provide overall direction and coordination of continuing medical education, training, and support for health care personnel; chairs provider meetings when needed and collaborates with Head of Transformational Care for clinical meetings
- Maintain affiliation with appropriate professional organizations.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and evaluation of clinical programs. Assist in planning and supervising new technologies and programs including EHR.
- Assume other responsibilities at the direction of the Medical Director including but not limited to staff performance evaluations monitoring providers.
- Demonstrate commitment to and understanding of modeling service excellence in all internal and external relationships, addressing service excellence deficits in staff, and in performance of all duties and responsibilities of this position.
- In the absence of the Medical Director, or when directed by the CMO or designee: Assume responsibilities and authorities of Medical Director, on an interim basis, as required to ensure regulatory compliance and the ongoing clinic operations of PCHC.
- Collaborate with Management Team members, as directed, to develop strategies and policies and provides consultation within scope of responsibility.
- Provide additional assistance within and outside of clinical arena, as requested and/or as appropriate, to ensure the ongoing success of the organization.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by Medical Director and or CMO.
- Current, valid license to practice medicine in the State of Rhode Island, including DEA license and CPR, required.
- Clinical proficiency related to area of medical specialty.
- Current, relevant, and substantial knowledge of areas related to health center licensing and operations, e.g., legal/regulatory, administrative, policy, protocols, and other clinical issues, especially within a managed care environment, required.
- Knowledge and understanding of mid-level supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team, in collaborative settings, required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Understands and is committed to maintaining highest level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to staff and build the trust and respect of patients, staff, colleagues and external contacts.
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Ability to utilize computer technology preferred, and willingness to develop and adapt to the evolving technological requirements of modern medical health center practices required.
- Demonstrates flexibility in regards to job duties and assignments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Board certification, or Board eligible, in a major primary care specialty field of practice.
- Strongly prefer minimum three years’ experience in progressively responsible administrative or management related positions within a primary health care environment, preferably in medically needy and underserved communities and in a community health center setting.
- Previous experience supervising providers and other clinical staff is essential, with demonstrated record of success.
- Previous experience providing services and exercising leadership in a culturally and linguistically diverse setting, with demonstrated success.
- Previous experience working within a managed care environment strongly preferred, especially with experience in administrative/management capacity.
ABOUT PCHC: Providence Community Health Centers, Inc. is a Federally Qualified Health Center and the largest community health center in Rhode Island. Established in 1968, PCHC has 500 employees based at 11 facilities in Providence and the surrounding communities.
All inquiries will remain confidential.
PCHC is a is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.